Wednesday, March 28, 2007

new literacies in context

1.1 Reflection on context
In my clinical practice I rely on many technologies each to which I need to develop multi-literacies.
I have pen, pencil and paper, still important despite my aim for a paperless office. For legal and access reasons I keep paper notes. I prefer to write rather than record or use a computer because of the socio-cultural context of my patients needs and the legal literacy I have to be aware of.
I have desktop and laptop computers for word processing, emails, Internet search, research, and communications with patients, doctors, suppliers and other networked organizations. In the near future we will be using encryption coding so that all records, letters and personal information can be communicated per Internet. These connections are per landline and wireless broadband.
I use fax and post for visually based text and short tie framed needs.
The telephone, answering machine and intercom are vital to the functioning and communication with patients, referrers, hospitals, nurses, family members, appointments, etc The mobile phone is an adjunct for on-call and out of hours contact. It also allows on a personal note sms texts and photographs between family members. This is especially important for the role of mother as well. My secretary uses the messenger system to keep communication with her children open.
I find that communication with patients is based on content of spoken language but more based on gestural (body language) communication, Some of my patients bring paintings and the children play as communication. I use a whiteboard for teaching but sometimes the children patients like to draw their issues on the whiteboard.
Important literacies I fond relate to listening skills, socio-cultural literacy and reflective skills. I find that sometimes I need to be didactic and give information about illness and treatments, avoidance of self- harm and drug abuse. I impart knowledge and point out how to access information via websites, search engines and books. Sometimes I give out videos, now more updated to dvds for educational purposes.
I have also needed to acquire economic and business literacies in order to run the administration side of the business effectively.
I frequently use and teach scientific literacies with respect to diagnosis, treatment and research.
As my project I hope to realize a further set of literacies and use of technology for my practice. I am surveying my patients as to their access to computer, ability to search the web likelihood that they will access a website for information and contact. I will then develop a website with links to important community facilities, information on illness, research and treatments. The website will also have an interactive discussion board to promote a supportive virtual community of fellow sufferers and their carers.
Such a website will probably be used by computer literate and younger groups of patients due to access and interest by digital natives. I hope to have available printouts for those people who do not have access to the web. I have some illiterate and intellectually handicapped patients who will not be able to use the web page but their families may gain benefits. I do not see many blind or non English-speaking patients but these people may find the resource unsuitable.
Joyce Arnold

No comments: